Trying to get everything done before we leave for Eleuthera.  Dan had to work on the boat insurance.  The company we had insure our boat last year did not want to renew it for this year since we were still in the hurricane belt.  We had to scramble at the last minute to find new insurance.  While he worked on that, I took the kids with me to do laundry.  We had a lot of laundry, and I decided to take it into town to the laundromat.  This meant walking in the heat with 4 bags.  The laundry bags are big, open on the top with handles.  I got the bright idea to slip my arms through the handles and put it on my back. I looked like one of those women in

Africa carrying the pile of sticks on her back.  I didn’t care.  It was the only way we were going to make it.   Tristan did the same with one of the bags.  I carried the garbage bag that had towels in it and the other laundry bag and Tessa carried my tote bag and the laundry detergent.  It was a long hot walk to the laundromat, but the kids never complained.  There were some younger kids there with their moms and Tessa went to play with them and Tristan helped me wash and fold.  It didn’t take too long.  It seemed much hotter on the way back.  There was no breeze.  We had about 6 blocks to walk to the dinghy.  I wasn’t sure we were going to make it.  If I could just hang on till we got to the end of the block without my head exploding we would be alright.  It was after lunchtime and I knew I would not feel like cooking when we got back to the boat.  We came to the corner near the Bahamian mart that sold good deli sandwiches.  I left the kids and the laundry on the corner while I went in and bought 4 sandwiches, 4 drinks, chips and tomatoes.  More stuff to carry.  We somehow found room and were back on our way.  Of course we have to pass the discount liquor and we are out of beer so we had to stop.  The kids stayed outside while I went in.  One of the homeless guys that hang around the dinghy dock came into the store.    He is very noticeable as he has a distinctive mohawk.  I first saw him at the Junkanoo, dancing by himself, lost in his own world.  The day before I saw him and another guy sitting under the tree by the dinghy dock, smoking cigarettes and sharing a beer.  He bought something, went outside and then came back in as I was going out.  I now had 2 more heavy bags.  I had no idea at this point how we were going to carry them.  I set them down and looked at Tristan and Tessa.  They each had a can of root beer.  I asked them where they got it.  The guy with the mohawk bought it for them.  While I was inside, he was coming up to store and Tessa said “Good afternoon.  How are you?”  He said “Hello” and then when he turned to see who it was he said “Princess!”  He asked them if they wanted orange juice or root beer and they told him root beer and he bought it for them.  I was a little shocked.  I thought that was so nice. When he comes out of the store again I thank him. He sees all my bags, asks if I need help and I say yes.  His friend has just ridden up on his bicycle.  He goes to grab a bag.  Another guy in the parking lot has a pickup truck and he tells them to put it in the back he will help me,  but they tell him no, they can handle it.  The mohawk guy takes 2 bags and the guy with the bicycle takes the other laundry bags and we walk the last 3 blocks to the dinghy dock.  I was so lucky they helped me as we never would have made it ourselves.  I gave them both a tip which they were not expecting; in fact the guy on the bicycle did not want to take it.  As we left, Tessa kept waving to them from the dinghy.  “I like that guy,” she kept saying.

“He is so funny!”    

Back at the boat I told Tristan to put the thermometer in the sun and see what the temperature was.  It showed 110 degrees.  That was without the humidity index which made it feel like over 120 degrees! Dan said we couldn’t put the thermometer in the sun as that wasn’t accurate.  I told him we walked in the sun so it was accurate for us!!!