snuggling  Aruba passage

We left early Monday morning and headed to Santa Cruz, on the north coast of Curacao.  We anchored here to shave twenty miles off  the normal sixty plus mile trip.  The anchorage was exposed, and when we anchored around noon, some northern swells were giving us a bit of a rolly anchorage, but not too bad.  At seven pm, right after the sun went down, the guy from the dive shop on shore came out to us and told us we’d better move.  They just got the call on the radio that bad northern swells were coming tonight and where we were wasn’t safe. If the Coast Guard saw us there, they’d make us leave.  He told us to come on further in the narrow inlet (lined by high cliffs) and anchor in the middle.  We had rejected this spot when we first came in as the holding was supposed to be dead, loose coral mixed with sand, a mixture our anchor doesn’t like, and the spot we were currently at was all sand.  Dan and I decided we’d better follow his advice as it was already pretty windy and a little lumpy where we were.  Tristan and I had the anchor hauled in record time, and in the twilight, we entered straight into the narrow inlet and dropped the anchor, hoping for a catch the first time.  Luck was with us and we were set, in the dark.  It was a little nerve wracking.  If we dragged here, we would head right into one of the rocky walls.  At least we were getting a break from the wind.  We had a restless night as we woke up to check our position every so often. 

santa-cruz   beach-sant-cruzSanta Cruz


 This morning at six thirty we hauled anchor and set sail west for Aruba.  In the beginning the wind was light, about ten to twelve knots, and northern swells.  The swells built, not enough to be scary, but short enough to make you sick if you went inside the boat.  I guess we don’t have our sea legs yet.  The only one who seemed fine was Tessa, but she can handle just about everything.  The wind stayed pretty light until we got to Aruba and then they kicked up to twenty five knots.  We checked into the immigration/customs at Barcadera.  It was interesting tying up to the dock with twenty knot winds pushing you off.  The guidebook said not to expect any help at the dock, but a nice guy from one of the Colombian fishing boats watched us come in, and gave us some much needed help with our lines.  That was an unexpected surprise.  Dan handed him a cold Polar.  At first he said that wasn’t necessary, but we insisted.  Check in was quick, and with our Colombian friends help again, we got off the dock and headed to the anchorage near the airport.  Tomorrow is Tessa’s birthday so we will go into town and explore and celebrate.  Tonight, it’s early to bed!

haircutting  Tristan cutting his own hair.